New Energy Efficient Building Legislation – SANS 10400 XA
On the 9th of September 2011 The National Standard SANS 10400 (building regulations) have been amended to include Part X (which addresses environmental sustainability) and Part XA (Energy usage in buildings including deemed-to-satisfy requirements).
What the law stipulates is that all buildings, as well as alterations and additions, where plans need to be drawn up and submitted (besides garages and storage areas) must be designed and constructed in such an energy efficient way that they can help to contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gases. (Please refer to the Government Gazette Act for full changes – see link at the bottom of the page).
- Is it in compliance with the relevant South African National Standards applicable to the product?
- Does it conform to the South African National Building Regulations?
- Is it appropriate for the intended occupancy or building classification in accordance with SANS 10400 Part A General requirements?
- Does it comply with the fire safety requirements given in SANS 10400-T Fire Safety and SANS 428 fire performance classification of thermal insulated building envelope systems?
- Does the product comply with the recommended R-value for the relevant climatic zones in accordance with SANS 10400-XA Energy usage and SANS 204 Energy efficiency in buildings?
The new insulation standards state that the insulation products should show the manufacturer’s name, product trade name, R-Value (thermal resistance) and fire classification obtained. This data must be fixed permanently to the original product, data sheet and packaging. If these are not there, don’t use it!
SANS 10400 – Amended National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act
- Part A: General Principles and Requirements
- Part B: Structural Design
- Part C: Dimensions
- Part D: Public Safety
- Part F: Site Operations
- Part G: Excavations
- Part H: Foundations
- Part J: Floors
- Part K: Walls
- Part L: Roofs
- Part M: Stairways
- Part N: Glazing
- Part O: Lighting and Ventilation
- Part R: Storm Water Disposal
- Part S: Facilities for Persons with Disabilities
- Part T: Fire Protection
- Part V: Space Heating
- Part W: Fire Installation
- Part XA: Energy Usage in Buildings
SANS 10400 XA – Energy usage in Buildings
SANS 10400 T – Fire Protection Regulation
SANS 10177 – Fire testing of materials and components used in buildings
SANS 204 – Energy efficiency in buildings (Same requirements for roof assemblies than SANS 10400 XA Energy usage in buildings).
SANS 428 – The fire performance classification of thermal insulated building envelope systems. This standard incorporates all factors required for fire-hazard or fire-risk assessment of the materials, or assemblies under actual fire conditions.
TIASA (Thermal Insulation Association of South Africa)
Department of Energy